$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Will Oldham, Dead Man's Shoes, etc...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Will Oldham, Dead Man's Shoes, etc... Reply with quote

This post is basically a bunch of random gibberish, but i figured this was probably the best place to put it since there aren't a whole lot of people around to annoy/offend and there's always the off chance that someone here might actually be in to some of this and want to discuss...

I never really took the time to listen to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's stuff until just recently- I had heard him a few times on last fm and liked his stuff, but never went out of my way to listen to him. Then when I heard the JL song about him I sought out a few of his songs (performed live) on youtube and watched some weird talk show with him smoking pot and not really saying much. It wasn't until I started watching his music videos that I really started getting into him. I have this strange need to learn as much as possible about him, but it's kind of tough because you really kind of have to dig to find him, which is also kind of fun, like trying to solve a mystery. Anyway, yesterday I read an interview with him by Michael Tully who happens to be the director of this film that I watched about two weeks ago and really enjoyed, called Cocaine Angel, he also did Silver Jew (haven't seen it yet though) and a new one called Septien that's being screened at various festivals (including sxsw). .. I can never tell if Will is being ironic or sincere in his interviews though, apparently he really likes R. Kelly and he says he cried when he watched Lilo and Stitch on an airplane.

Yesterday I watched one of Will's songs on youtube, it was played over scenes from the movie "Dead Man's Shoes" ( which you can stream on Netflix).. and decided to watch the movie last night and I still feel kind of nauseous.. not that it wasn't good, it was just really dark and depressing as hell, but it was really beautifully done... I'm wondering if any of you guys have seen it? The soundtrack is pretty great too, it opens with a Bill Callahan song, then some Danger Mouse, Calexico and some other stuff by bands I've never heard of and Bonnie Billy somewhere in the middle then ends with M. Ward...

So. Umm. That's all for now. Sorry for rambling, can't find anyone else to discuss this stuff with.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Man's Shoes is a great film! I like dark films, and music, and books. Basically I'm a miserable bugger. Evident again as my favourite BPB song is I See A Darkness. It reminds me of doing my A Levels in Winchester a horrendous number of years ago....
I listened to WWOH today too. I had a good day but felt anxious and miserable. I got in the car, stuck on Don't be Upset, had a cry, and then it came on after so I had a sing and a chuckle and felt a bit better.
xxxxx
kris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tell how far removed from the scene I am when I say this, but, wow.. it is so good to find someone who has actually heard of (and enjoys!) the stuff that I'm getting in to right now. The first scene in Dead Man's Shoes with the Bill Callahan song over the home movie montage really suckered me in to the film, but about twenty minutes in I started to get nervous that it was going to be just kind of weird and maybe a little smutty. I was worried that it was going to be the kind of awkward low budget film that tends to get a little self indulgent and without much plot (which aren't always bad..but usually are.) But.. man, things really started to pick up like halfway through and I thought I was going to lose my sh*t. Just gave me the strangest feeling in my stomach... and then when it ended it was midnight and I wasn't able to fall asleep until around 2.

Anyway, can you recommend some good horror books? (I've never really enjoyed horror, but I'm just now starting to see that it can be done so much better than the mainstream stuff and give the kind of nightmares I actually kind of enjoy.) Have you read any H.P. Lovecraft? I'm just starting to get in to him now, reading the Whisperer in Darkness.. it's doing good things for me also. ....Also, have you watched a lot of the BPB videos? I don't know if his stuff is meant to be scary, but some of his songs w/ the video really do damage to my soul (in a good way)
I'm also starting to read the Neil Gaiman Graphic novel "Endless Nights", which I have to admit, was the one that seemed most appealing to me at the cb store and it's also the one that's covered in praises from everyone including USA Today (since when does usa today give a crap about art?) But, I don't know...I've only read a few pages and the first little story was exactly what it describes itself to be. (Please read this book and discuss it with me, I'll send you a copy if you're interested. =P )

Ok- sorry, too much. I hope you're feeling better. You seem like the person I've been trying to meet for a long time, I wish you lived a little closer. (Also I had to Wiki "A Levels" and still am not exactly sure what they are...?)
AFB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Man's Shoes is INCREDIBLE. I've only seen it once, because, basically, I have no desire to put myself through something so depressing again, but it's still amazing and I'll watch it again one day.

Have you seen Room for Romeo Brass? It's an earlier Shane Meadows film, which also has Paddy Considine in it. I wouldn't say it was quite as dark, but there's something about Considine's character that is even more disturbing than DMS's.
kris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen A Room for Romeo Brass yet, but I'm going to look it up in a minute, thanks! I honestly don't think I can handle another psychological thriller right now, so if it's anything like Dead Man's Shoes, I might have to wait another week or two to see it. My psyche has endured too much the past couple of weeks with all the bizarre horror stuff I've been watching/reading, that I should probably relax and watch something a little less deranged tonight to help restore my mental stability.

..eh, scratch that.. I just looked it up and it looks really good, so I'm going to watch it right now if I can find it somewhere- it's not available on Netflix. =/

...found it. yay (I think I may have just signed away my soul though, i really should read the fine print first..)
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing I am is in any scene hun, I'm like, clueless when it comes to most media. I don't even really watch films to be honest, why bother when the books are almost always better? I did watch the Class this week, a French film, that was good, but it's only one of about 3 I've seen this year I think.
I've been trying to think about horror books but my brain's not working, so, um, I don't know. I've had some kind of sickness bug and am still feeling kind of weak, fragile and slow! I know I liked thee Shining but that's about all I can think of, many of them I can think of were not good but very cheesy. Sorry for that!
I haven't read any Lovecraft but know a few people who do. They seem pretty intelligent and interesting (well, they're my friends, and I've got standards!) so I guess that's a good enough recommendation, try the library if you don't want to jump right in and pay for them all! I will have to check out the one you mentioned, thanks for that, always love a recommended book!
I wouldn't say I've seen a lot of BPB videos but enough to know what you're getting at, they are pretty unique!
I haven't read a great deal of Gaiman's stuff either, there's loads in my local library that I pick up and look at but never actually withdraw...it strikes me as more stuff for boys, for some reason. I do have a copy of Smoke and Mirrors on my bookshelf though that I've read a number of times, and like, so maybe I should stop judging books by their covers!
And finally...A Levels (or advanced levels) are the British further education exams. You do compulsory schooling until 16, when you take GCSE exams. If you do ok-well in those then you're allowed on to A Level courses, which you take from age 16-18. You then use those grades to get you into university. I did my A Levels at a very posh FE college in Winchester (used to be the capital of England, back in the day!) so had a pretty strange experience, being educated with all these very rich people's kids, like politicians and corporate owners and stuff. I never fitted in and had a horrendous time there, music and literature pretty much are the only reasons I live to tell the tales today.
Phew, good luck to you on the discovery of gems, I love chatting to you and finding out about all this great stuff! Have you heard any Malcolm Middleton or Arab Strap songs? They are two of my other favourites.
ARFRB looks intriguing. My list of stuff I need to find in my notebook just keeps getting bigger!
xxxx