$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

The Quine Tapes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: The Quine Tapes Reply with quote

Listening to the Velvet Underground "Quine Tapes" recordings, some great and interesting stuff... especially weird that Robert Quine who bootlegged this stuff in the late 60s ended up becoming Lou Reed's guitar player many years later - giving Reed a completely different sound than the late-60s Velvets whom Quine obviously loved...
Always interesting to hear the material from the first two John Cale-period Velvets albums as performed by the late period Velvets, with organ instead of viola...
and I'm often confused about who is taking the guitar solos when it gets noisy - is that Lou stepping in for the noisy guitar leads? Or did Sterling feel equally comfortable with his cool rock slithery style and some noise/skronk playing too?
Damn, Sterling is such a good guitar player... he never gets talked about much... but he adds so much of that Velvet Undergound sound!
jack fe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the CD box set? The versions of Sister Ray on there are pretty stunning. Isn't one about 40 minutes?
I always assumed it was Lou doing the shronk stuff rather than Sterling, who seems like he's always holding it down, perfectly.
It seems like everyone who really knows the VU records well loves Sterling, but outside that, nothing. I guess its because the others are all so notable for something or other, Maureen is such a recognizable and wonderful drummer.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CD of the single-disc Quine Tapes release, the one that starts with "Waiting For the Man," I think my brother had left it in my CDs years ago and I'd never listened to it... so the other day when i came across it I was really excited to finally hear it. THEN I discovered it was totally scratched up and mostly unplayable - so I found a blog where i could download it. i figured, the CD was already paid for, so I'm not ripping off Lou Reed by just downloading a copy I can actually listen to. However, I didn't realize that the file I was downloading was actually not just that one disc but the first two discs of the recently released Quine Tapes box set, so I sort of had an excuse to rip off Lou & co, accidentially ending up with an extra disc-worth of stuff. The extra disc that I got is the one that starts with a really long "Follow the Leader" and ends with a REALLY long "Sister Ray," like almost 40 minutes long.