$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jazz...(?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Jazz...(?) Reply with quote

Is it a sin to speak of jazz in the Jeffrey Lewis forum? I think I remember watching an interview where he said he wasn't a fan. So I'm not sure if the JL audience mojority felt the same.
If not, I was wondering if anyone knows of any great avant garde jazz stuff that's going on right now. A few months back I found a jazz guitarist, Mary Halvorson on youtube, and her stuff was just really great to listen to, but I don't know if there's a whole ag jazz underground scene right now or what..... just wondering if anyone here might know..
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have no idea what's happening in the modern jazz world... I've been enjoying watching the Ken Burns multi-part Jazz documentary, it's about 14 hours long or something like that, but fun stuff. It's true I'm not much of a jazz fan but I do like certain stuff, even if I don't buy those records very much.
kris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually watched that about two months ago. It took me about a week to finish it, but it made me feel really happy. I went out to the used bookstores and bought a lot of the obvious stuff; Charlie Parker (still waiting for the chance to casusally refer to him as "Bird", but I don't think I've had a conversation about him with anyone ever), Billie Holiday, Miles Davis (the trumpet KILLS me)..etc.. I suddenly needed to learn everything from the blues up and I just went nuts for a while. (I guess I still am, but it's been a lot of fun). .And the random fragments of avante garde jazz I've had the opportunity to listen to is sooo so amazing, really. That's all. (oh except) also see: avant garde classical... (...also just saying "avant garde" anything kind of makes me feel like a jerk. I hope I'm spelling it wrong.)
jack fe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a sin at all. I'm a big jazz fan. I went into it a little backwards, hearing people like Sun Ra (and the Arkestra) through bands like Yo La Tengo namechecking them and collaborating. Since then I've been listening to Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis and lots of others for the past couple of years. My sister is a swing dancer and has got me into lots of earlier music from the 20s - 40s.

As for a current avant garde scene, I don't know too much. Whereabouts are you from? Cafe Oto in London puts on a lot of great improvisational music / free jazz performances pretty constantly. It's a great starting point.
Ornette Coleman's 'Free Jazz' and 'The Shape of Jazz to Come' are great records, and there are vast numbers of wonderful Sun Ra records to find.
John Zorn has been doing lots of Jazz influenced work in many styles since the 1970s and it's worth diving into to see what you find.
John Coltrane is another obvious one but well worth exploring. So many beautiful records. His style is unbeatable.
kris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm looking forward to hearing some new (different) stuff. I actually live in the middle of a cultural desert, or I should say cultureless desert because it actually is the desert (Phoenix) and it's completely devoid of any culture. (So it appears, I might just need to dig a little deeper.) But I guess Kim Gordon said AZ gives her the creeps and she's never going to play here again (not a direct qoute, but I think that's pretty close.) I think a lot of musicians are still boycotting AZ because of SB 1070. So it's kind of a bummer, having moved here from St. Louis, where there seemed to be a lot more going on.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tour Jack and I always make fun of Dave because whenever he gets paid any money he immediately spends it all on jazz box sets.
jack fe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my friends had some great shows in Arizona! The Phoenix show kind of fell through, and ended up just playing with our hosts at some party. It was too hot, but kind of fun.
Tucson though, that place is wonderful. The Dry River collective/venue is an amazing thing.

Also, one of the greatest bands of all time hails from Phoenix: Sun City Girls!!! If you're interested, they combine jazz elements, with punk rock, north african, asian, noise and lots of other styles of music, along with a pretty terrifying sense of humour. A truly great band. Be proud, even if its too hot and no one comes to play for you! Wink

Although, Phoenix was kind of creepy... It was so huge, but no real center that we could find! I want to explore it more this year.
kris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't a center, but I bet if you go down to Mill Ave in Tempe and ask one of the bums, they'll tell you where the scene is.. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier. Anyway, listening to SCG and really enjoying it, thanks!
kris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jeff: Ha! What a lousy rock star! Doesn't he know that all his proceeds are meant to go directly to hookers and drug dealers?

Also, speaking of hookers, can someone please explain this video to me? I couldn't tell if this was meant to be serious, and is that last scene with Will shaking a fistful of nuts an innuendo, or am I just a pervert?
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/bonnie-prince-billy-lay-and-love-video/b619b92fd7cfe48d0784b619b92fd7cfe48d0784-527707734673?q=lay+and+love&FORM=VIRE7
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billie Holiday is my favorite jazz artist, she is the most incredible singer ever.
If you like female jazz singer i recommend you to check Dinah Washington, she's also amazing, i could listen to her song "it's too soon to know" all day long.
Bessy Smith is also really good.
As for male artists Lester Young definitly worth listening, he played a lot of saxophone with Billie Holiday and the legend says that his way of playing made Billie sing the way she does.
Lately i discovered Dave Bartholomew, really good also.

I baught the LP bird and diz recently, it also worth a listen, Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker made great records together.

My girlfriend is a real jazz nut, she knows a lot of more than me and she make my education.

Also you should check the tv show named TREME, it's about people trying to get their life together after Katrina and it has a lot of Jazz in it, live performance etc... really a great show, if you are into jazz you will love it.
silverwood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are many people familiar Bob Dorough?
he is surley a jazz act jeffrey lewis fans can love.
he has an endering singing voice, and his songs are pretty fun and playfull.
his first album Devil may care is a brilliant jazz record, one of my favourites

i cant find anything from that particular album on youtube, but this is a good track anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMkb7Qlxyw

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.
kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe I'd never heard of Bob Dorough before tonight. Thank you so much for mentioning him on here, this is exactly what I needed to hear. (Too bad I can't find a whole lot of his stuff on Youtube.)

(this is great stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bogoM_lg38g&feature=related
(schoolhouse rock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUXtUD81G-g&feature=related
He did vocals for Miles Davis too (thanks again for the new obsession)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NpMP8j8ho
silverwood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah hes great, i have a rapidshare download for his 1956 album devil may care, which has such a uniqe sound for a mid 50's album. i stil think it sounds pretty fresh today.

ill just pop it up here, its deffinatly worth a listen: http://rapidshare.com/files/229643454/Devil_May_Care.zip

i can remove it if people think i shouldnt be posting peoples records for free downloads. but i think a copy is pretty hard to find

kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh.. I am completely clueless when it comes to downloading music off of here. Do you need to pay for a rapidshare account before you can listen?
....I watched one Youtube video with Bob Dorough where he talks about not making any money off of Devil May Care, maybe if I send him 12 bucks he could just send me a copy. (lowest used on Amazon is $30..ugh)
silverwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im sure there purpously confusing. you just have to click the slow download button. no singing up or paying or nothin