$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

New to forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: New to forum Reply with quote

Hey,
This is my first time posting here and I'm going to try not to geek out too much.

I just found out about Jeffrey Lewis about 2 weeks ago and my mind has been so one-pointed since that I'm pretty sure I'm on the brink of enlightenment (or maybe it's insanity, but either way it feels pretty good.) I'm tempted to spend an hour rambling on about how much I adore this guy, but I'm going to try to restrain myself. I do want to ask if anyone could tell me a little about his art work and if he's had formal training or if it all just kind of evolved organically. I'm a big fan of the stuff I've seen on this site, my favorites being the first page sketchbook stuff of him and Rom. Have these been published in anything? They might be my favorite thing in existence right now. .... I haven't seen any of the Fuff/Guff pages yet, but I'm going to order a book off of Olive Juice next week and I'm really looking forward to it because I've spent the past few years trying to find some decent comic books (I honestly haven't been looking hard enough, I check the shelves at local book stores and ask to see the underground stuff, but the best I've found is Shannon Wheeler [Too much coffee man], who's great, but almost everything else I find is never as great as I hope and I can't find Art Spiegleman or Crumb or even Joe Matt stuff in my area).
...Anyway, I'm rambling, but I'm so happy to have found this board and thrilled that people like Jeff exist, I feel like I'm waking up from a really long, dull dream. -Kristen PS- The only albums I have of his right now are 12 Crass songs and It's the ones that have cracked... I've been watching a lot of youtube, and I'm planning to buy his other albums, but can someone please tell me the best place to start? Thanks!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kris, nice to meet you. I look forward to reading all your posts. The board is quiet but everyone is kind and nice and clever.
I think all of Jeff's albums (at least the ones I've heard) are worth a listen, I really think you should get them all, and you won't be disappointed. Maybe find the song you like best on you tube and start with the album that's on?
I'm not too sure on the artwork question, I only know he didn't major in it in uni, but that doesn't mean anything...
Take care now xxx
kris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I asked my boyfriend to buy me Jeff's entire catalogue for my birthday... heh.. I think he ordered 'em are i, the last time i did acid and some comic books, which will suffice for now. I'm pretty excited about the comix, I haven't found anything great in a while. Thanks again for the help!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok lovely, I'm glad you've got something nice to look forward to. I hope you have an ace birthday whenever it may be! It's always great to discover something new and find out there's a whole back catalogue to make you happy, I love that.
Hope you're having a fab day xx
kris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misshelenc,
Thanks so much for that! =) I turned 29 today (I think..? I don't even remember turning 28.) And I feel obliged to sit around and mope, even though it really hasn't been such a bad day. The JL comix haven't arrived yet, but I went to the used bookstore this morning and found about 10 others that I'm kind of excited about (the gratuitously gory stuff usually doesn't appeal to me, but these seem to have potential.) But anyway, thanks for the birthday wishes, that was really sweet.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, wow, congratulations! I'm glad you managed to get hold of some nice comics and I hope your day went really well, and you got spoilt! When do you see your man so you can pick up your musical back catalogue? Or are they arriving all together? Let me know how you find them!
Eat some nice cake and smile lots! Have a great one! xxx
Tshack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris, I had to smile at your first post, as it was as enthusiastic as my first one here -- Hearing my first JL music really blew my mind, and I couldn't stop thinking about it... don't know, though, if, as you say, there are many --or ANY people "like Jeff." He's that rarest of birds, an original.

And the comix are amazing too. If you've got an iPod or iPhone, a few of the Fuffs are even an app!

I also love the "low-fi vids" -- his comic histories ; make sure you check those out -- simply amazing. He has some posted on the History channel, and live vids are all over Youtube.

Last edited by Tshack on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
kris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tshack =) I can't help but cringe when I see that first post. My unbridled ranting always feels so liberating when I'm typing, but approximately 5 seconds after hitting "submit" I usually feel like a dummy. So sometimes I go back and delete and sleep easier knowing people aren't laughing at how incredibly childish I can be, but sometimes I just say F it and let it go, because I feel like it might be bad for my ego, but ok for my soul.
But, yeah, I'm reading Fuff #7 right now. I just finished "Stories My Dad Tells." Pretty fantastic stuff, it actually really makes me want to know more about his dad, he seems like a lot of fun. I'm working on the backside now, Fuff #326, the "Space Time Continuum Diary"..weeee.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cringe, honestly, you're too hard on yourself, no one minds, just be yourself and say what you feel like saying. xxxx
Tshack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris,

Why apologize for liberating enthusiasm? An objective eye finds your post to be just a rational response, nothing twee or outré at all, but especially on a fan forum: when in Rome here, overt appreciation is just de rigueur, and adds interest, don't you think? Your verve jumped off the page, it is so alive -- just like JL's music. I love it.

I understand that especially for this artist, an egalitarian cool may be more appropriate, perhaps, but why not own our enthusiasm, hmm? It's the engine of life, after all.

My partner is a convert, too -- just came back from a month fixing up our ramshackle cabin down in Angeles Natl. Forest, where he spent many hours with just Jeff's music and the birds for company. And he said today, "I love every single one of his songs."

I don't think my partner's said that about anyone else except maybe Captain Beefheart.

Then we played the Chelsea Hotel Song for a singer/songwriter we're producing, and HE loved it too. That tossed-off rhyme, "on home/Leonard Cohen" just kills me.

So let's rave on about the wonders of this music, people! If not now, when? If not here, where?