$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Bruce Haack and other weird kids' music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Bruce Haack and other weird kids' music Reply with quote

I thought I might as well turn this into a new thread since it has moved off the Monks...

There are a LOT of Bruce Haack records, and some of them have never been fully reissued on CD, only on weird rare Japanese CD reissues which now are rare and expensive themselves. You CAN find a bunch of Haack stuff available to download on various blogs. Haack's dead, so you don't have to feel too bad about downloading the stuff.

His early material, like the Way Out Record For Children and The Electronic Album For Children, are pretty special - they are hard to find in the original form, and what is much more common to find is a CD called "Hush Little Robot" which contains a mix of tracks from a few of his 1960s kids' records. As with any "best-of" it makes some strange choices to include and to leave out... but a good introduction to his kid material, which really is his best/weirdest. Personally I prefer The Electronic Album For Children.

Then there's the 2 albums about Lucifer, I only know the 1st one, but it's pretty great.

THEN he gets REALLY weird and messed up, stuff that is decidedly NOT for kids, on the Haackula album - I like this one a lot too.

There's a number of his other albums, all thru his career, that I have not heard (never heard "Bite" for example), and there's at least one album that he released under a different name, I forget what it's called.
kap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even sure if this is an appropriate continuation to this new old thread, but having been confined to stillness by virtue of vomiting children, we've had a great long night and day listening to music with an uncomplaining audience (unfortunate downside being the frequency with which I have been bathed in stomach contents). So we've had some fun checking out Bruce Haacka not having come across him before (why isn't there a psychedelic/electronica pre-school music group like that in our city rather than the lousy standard). This then took us to Raymond Scott another new find for us not having ventured much beyond Francoise Bayle and Stockhausen in this era.

Not at all weird or edgy, but whilst talking about music for the kids, 'Songs for the Young at Heart' has had a fair bit of airplay today, given to our 4 year old by a friend on his birthday, there is some divine stuff on here, poems, songs, stories performed by musicians including Jarvis Cocker, Cerys Matthews, Stuart Murdoch. Who could fail to melt at the beauty of Bonnie 'Prince' Billy singing Puff the Magic Dragon, so personal it feels like a bit of an intrusion to listen. So, mostly sweet and unlikely to produce the same effect had on me after hearing They're coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haa! when I was small. Asides from BPB's cover Uncle Sigmund's Clockwork Storybook is probably my favourite sung on here by Robert Forster.

You can listen here: http://www.songsfortheyoungatheart.co.uk/
kap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, sleep deprivation shows, on realising I had made a pretty large omission in not mentioning Stuart Staples (Tindersticks) who along with Dave Boulter created Songs For the Young at Heart, (thank you), I looked at my last post and see that I have shifted Bayle's gender with the addition of an e, given Bruce an extra a and upset my husband who can't believe I claimed not to know much electronic music from the 60s and 70s - and he thought playing Faust and Neu! to me whilst fast asleep for all these years would improve my Krautrock cred. Ho hum. Feel free to point out any other nonsense, having not had much sleep last night either there's sure to be more.
kap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, sleep deprivation shows, on realising I had made a pretty large omission in not mentioning Stuart Staples (Tindersticks) who along with Dave Boulter created Songs For the Young at Heart, (thank you), I looked at my last post and see that I have shifted Bayle's gender with the addition of an e, given Bruce an extra a and upset my husband who can't believe I claimed not to know much electronic music from the 60s and 70s - and he thought playing Faust and Neu! to me whilst fast asleep for all these years would improve my Krautrock cred. Ho hum. Feel free to point out any other nonsense, having not had much sleep last night either there's sure to be more.
kap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't repeat that entry!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, one of the guys from the Tindersticks is now playing in Faust! I saw them a couple weeks ago.
kap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were Faust like to see live? Did Jean-Herve manage to keep his clothes on or did the paints come out?