FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeffrey Lewis & The Junkyard - 'Em Are I *SPOILER ALERT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I feel in this age of music downloads the majority or people who listen to Jeffs albums like to own the hard copy, scaning the merch table at a show and seeing the people staring wide eyed at the bands array of colourful bells and whistles
every body always seems desperate to own a piece, I myself often glance accross the table hoping to see something new and shiny. this isn't always the feel you get at merch tables and I think the difference is everything they've produced always feels like a really labour of love rather than just a money spinner, so you're not just buying a t-shirt, a comic or cd but a trinket of the passon pouring out from the stage.

Jeff's new album won't just be ripped on to my computer then thrown in a corner, I'll have the sleve out, I'll read it cover to cover, I'll get lost in the artwork and I'll no doubt enjoy every inch of it with the giggley excitement of my youth (DAMM IT - I'M STILL YOUNG)

So let the Torrent leaker have their digital version. It can exist for people who maybe can't afford the album or for those discovering this band for the first time (Lucky you). I have no disire to download a version, for me it will cheapen the experience when I get the album. I will admit I have had tasters and sneaky peaks at albums in the past but always guitily - (It comes with the genre I guess) so I certainly will understand any of you who can't wait any longer and need to get your fix now, I'm just saying, if you can hold on I reckon it'll be worth the wait!

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
AFB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you mention the merch table because I was just thinking today I can't wait to see what the t-shirts are gonna be like on the next tour.

It's not just the same old logo, on a black t-shirt, it's a specifically made design.

I like to think I take some of that way of doing things away with me as well - we're trying to get some designs done ourselves at the moment using a sewing machine to stitch on big but simple designs... either way it'll be interesting to see how they turn out!
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't download artists that I'm already fans of. I will buy the record, and will refuse to hear a note of this record until it hits my cd player. If it's a band I've never heard, throw me a song or two my way. If I like them, I'll buy the record. And If I like the record, I'll patiently wait and buy the next one without hearing a note and I'll see them when they come through. I don't agree with downloading but, if a band advocates downloading their record(ie Harvey Danger), go for it but I bought a physical copy because it came with a bonus disc. It's ok download if you've never heard the artist but, if you're a huge fan, shame on you, I say. Shame on you.
morgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFB wrote:
Kieron wrote:
AFB wrote:
Someone should put a spoiler alert on this post Wink

damn straight they should

Razz It's not like I posted track listing or lyrics!

Sorry about that.... I still haven't downloaded it.
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're forgiven Morgan, it's certainly whetted my appetite!

DrNick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a moral question for the digital age.

Lately I've been getting more and more into vinyl - you can pick up brilliant stuff dirt cheap in charity shops, and there is something very pleasing about the whole action of putting a record on a turntable. Also, when buying music in a physical form is now an active choice, it seems to make sense to buy it in the most pleasing format - and I do think that artwork looks much better on 12" record than on a CD case.

So I will probably buy the new album on vinyl. Great, but I'd also like to listen to it on my MP3 player. While I can record stuff from vinyl onto my PC it's a bit of a faff and it doesn't always sound great. So would I then be justified in also downloading the album (without paying) on the grounds I have already legitimately paid for the music?
DrNick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, MRI = Manchester Royal Infirmary. If ever Jeff or any of his entourage had been injured while playing a show in the north of England they might have ended up in A&E there. Just a thought.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrNick wrote:
Here's a moral question for the digital age.

Lately I've been getting more and more into vinyl - you can pick up brilliant stuff dirt cheap in charity shops, and there is something very pleasing about the whole action of putting a record on a turntable. Also, when buying music in a physical form is now an active choice, it seems to make sense to buy it in the most pleasing format - and I do think that artwork looks much better on 12" record than on a CD case.

So I will probably buy the new album on vinyl. Great, but I'd also like to listen to it on my MP3 player. While I can record stuff from vinyl onto my PC it's a bit of a faff and it doesn't always sound great. So would I then be justified in also downloading the album (without paying) on the grounds I have already legitimately paid for the music?

I got to agree with you, cd are not as nice as a vinyl, plus nothing beats the vinyl sound.
The cd artworks are too fucking small.
I mostly download live shows from the internet, or out of print stuff, even if i also get regular lps from time to time. What i like 'ill buy anyway, same for movies.
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this shit out! [url]http://www.amazon.com/Em-Are-Jeffrey-Lewis-Junkyard/dp/B001V76E88/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237672120&sr=1-16 [/url]
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its every where now!

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/8990170/-Em-Are-I/Product.html