$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jacques Brel Coney Island video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamlet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Jacques Brel Coney Island video Reply with quote

To welcome the summer, I made this video of Jacques Brel's first recorded song , La Foire (The Fair) (1953) , thought you might enjoy it , French with English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSQDGXRyH04

Last edited by hamlet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really beautiful.
Thelma, I've got very into Jacques Brel in the last few months. I was going to start a thread, which records should I go for? I thought you'd be a good person to ask.
hamlet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Infiniment Reply with quote

The 2CD set of greatest hits plus 5 unreleased out-takes from his last album called Infiniment is a winner (see Amazon reviews). The North American version from DRG records has abridged English translations (less than perfect, I'm discovering) which I did with the help of someone from Belgium . You can get it from Amazon or Ebay . The European version has no translations.
If by "record" you mean vinyl, The Poetic World of Jacques Brel and If You Go Away (on Phillips) have booklets with full translations (not perfect either), and the two on Reprise, Jacques Brel and Encore, have abridged translations on the back (no better). These LPs show up on Ebay for not too much money (under $10).
YouTube and DailyMotion are the best places to find him alive because he is such a dynamic performer and so good looking, too. I've done a lot of translations and subtitles with the help of Ema and other bilingual enfants de la patrie, and if I make mistake, they come after me.
EBay UK has a 5 LP box set (FRench only) currently at 6 euros, 4 Euros shippng.
__ http://tiny.cc/d0FYI
jack fe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! That's really helpful.
His songs are so beautiful. I kind of enjoying not understanding the words. He gets a lot across with his voice and the music (and the odd word I can understand). I feel the same with Jonathan Richman's spanish (and French/Italian/Hebrew) songs.

How did you get involved with all the Brel translations? Were you a linguist/translator previously, or is it just from a Brel enthusiasm?
hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just a fan, that's all. I think it's important to get the words, same as with Jeffrey or Dylan. You'll enjoy him even more. On DailyMotion.com I have posted many subtitled videos in the lightning49 account.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you heard about it Thelma but a french director is going to make a movie about Serge Gainsbourg.
hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't heard about it, but I hope we get it here too. We had an almost 3 hr. BBC documentary called "Paris, city of Dreams" that had Gainsbourg in it,and made us all feel like we went to Paris.